Habitat For Humanity
of North Central Iowa
517 1st St NW
Mason City, IA 50401
Your first stop for affordable home improvement projects.
Tuesday - Friday: 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Saturday: 9 am - 4 pm
Below are a list of questions about the ReStore. For the answers to the questions, left click on the question and you will be directed to the page with the information desired. When finished reading click on the link to return to the top of the page or just continue reading.
Donors may benefit by avoiding landfill fees, and by receiving a tax deduction on contributions. Receipts are provided.
In addition to raising funds for Habitat for Humanity, the ReStore helps the environment by diverting tons of reusable building materials away from area landfills.
Habitat ReStore Mission:
1) Provide good stewardship of sustainable resources in the community by diverting reusable materials from the landfill.
2) Provide an affordable option to area families who want to remodel and improve their homes.
3) Help provide additional funding to support the construction of future Partner Families' homes.
- First international Habitat ReStore opened: Winnipeg, Canada in 1991.
* Sold used lumber in the beginning
* Moved to 20,000 sq. ft. in 2004
* In 2011 celebrated 20 years
* Saves 1.5 million pounds from the landfill annuall
* Celebrated 20th anniversary in 2012
* Contributes $500,000 each year to support future homes
* Saves more than 13 million pounds of useable goods from the landfill
United States - has 950 ReStores nationwide
* North Carolina has 66 ReStores!
* Iowa has 10 ReStores
Canada - has 65 ReStores nationwide
* Ontario has 44 ReStores alone!
More than 100 Habitat for Humanity affiliates across the United States and Canada have established ReStores. Their mission is to provide materials and funding for the work of Habitat for Humanity, locally and abroad.
Habitat's most successful ReStores raise enough to build 10 or more houses per year!
All inventory is 50 to 75% off retail prices!
Shop often - new items arrive frequently!
Inventory includes new items as well as hard to find older items. Including:
Furniture Kitchen Cabinets
Light Fixtures Appliances
Paint/ Wood Stain/ Other materials
Carpet/ Flooring/ Crown Moulding
Water Heaters/ Furnaces/ Breaker Boxes
Habitat for Humanity ReStore accepts donations in good, resellable condition.
All donations are tax-deductible to the full extent allowed by law.
We reserve the right to refuse any materials that we are unable to resell.
All materials sold at the ReStore are donated by contractors, business and the general public to support the work of Habitat for Humanity North Central Iowa.
Preferably, donors will include delivery of the materials as part of the donation, however, pick-ups may also be scheduled.
To make a donation, contact Habitat for Humanity North Central Iowa, call the ReStore (641) 423-1688, or bring your materials to the ReStore during regular business hours.
Alternative location for donations in Clear Lake, IA!
l Woodford Home and Lumber: 210 North 4th St
l Appointments for picking up your donations can be made by calling:
641-357-2134 Mon to Fri: 7 am to 5 pm; Sat: 7:30 am to 12 pm
The ReStore currently accepts:
- Visa/ Mastercard/ Discover/ American Express
No cash refunds will be credited.
All returns will result in an in-store credit for the amount of the purchased item.
- Range hoods
- Cabinets (must include cabinet doors)
- Countertops (complete sections, no partial)
- Light fixtures (include all parts, hanging brackets)
- Vanity cabinet with sink
- Bathroom accessories (new/ nearly new parts;cleaned & drined)
- Light fixtures (include all parts, hanging brackets)
- Shower/ tub inserts
- Bedroom furniture
- China cabinets
- Book shelves
- Washers & Dryers
- Water heaters
- Small Appliances
- Room & Air Conditioners
- Flat Screen T.V's
- Entertainment equipment
House hold items:
- Picture frames
- Decorative dishes
- Wall decor
- Home decor
- Framed mirrors
- Seasonal decorations
- New/ nearly full cans of paint (latex only, cannot be frozen)
- Painting supplies & accessories
- Hardware (sorted; hinges, cabinet pulls, nuts, bolts, etc.)
- Plumbing supplies
- General tools
- Foam Insulation (complete sheets)
- Cabinets (undamaged, wood or metal)
- Lumber (no nails or scraps, 4' or longer)
- Wall paper (full rolls only, undamaged rolls, no out dated style)
Flooring: (full boxes only, new/nearly boxes, no out dated)
- Area Rugs
- Carpet (new/nearly, new carpet padding, used must be approved before acceptance)
- Landscaping blocks
- Landscaping trim
- Gardening tools
- Patio furniture (seasonal only)
- Lawn decor
- Fire pits (seasonal only)
- Mulch, soil & rock
- Grills & outdoor cooking appliances
- Play sets (seasonal only)
- Decking - complete
- Outdoor power equipment
Doors & Windows: No single pane, must be in very good condition
- Exterior (entry doors)
- Storm/ screen
- Patio doors
- Bi-fold doors
- Garage doors (included tracks & all neccessary hardware)
- Windows (no onlder than 15 years)
- Window treatments (neutral colors, complete with hardware, no blinds)
Lighting: Include all parts & hardware
- Ceiling fans
- Ceiling lights
- Outdoor lights
The ReStore reserves the right to refuse any item. If you have a question about an item not on this list, please call the Habitat ReStore at (641) 423-1688.
- Clothes (men's, women's, children)
- Used mattress/ box springs
- Used/ or oil based paint
- Tube or projection television sets
- Windows older than 15 years
- Broken or out dated tile
- Stained or cracked sinks
- Blinds/ curtain rods
- Broken or stained furniture
- Appliances that need to be repaired
- Boards shorter than four feet long
- Used carpet pads
- Cut pieces of drywall
- Open stain or varnish
- Siding (unless in large quantities; please provide an approximate square footage.)
- Toxic materials
- Window pieces or parts
Due to limited space, Habitat ReStore reserves the right to refuse any materials that cannot be re-sold.